Sunday 27 March 2011

It's all about perspective

Having moved to a foreign country and built a life before, I know that bad patches are inevitable. I know there will be days you'll second guess yourself and days when all you'll want is a familiar face or a pair of arms around you.

Recently I went through one of these patches. It was pretty short-lived. One of the reasons this was true, was because I decided I just couldn't fit it in. If you lie in bed in the morning and tell yourself that the weather is bad and that you don't want to do anything you have planned for the day, your day is going to be difficult and exhausting. And if you stay in your room because you don't have any friends anyway, then you are never going to make new ones.

So after a day of admittedly feeling sorry for myself, I got up, and got out and pretended to feel at home. I know you've heard this a million times before, but people repeat because it's true. If you have a positive attitude, even if it's fake, that's half the battle won.

Suddenly I had more job offers. I got letters and emails from far-flung friends I hadn't heard from in ages. I went on a couple of outings with some people I had met here. And it felt like I had a life. A life that was actually quite interesting and worthwhile. I could see why people kept telling me I was lucky when lucky was the furtherest thing from what I was feeling.

Now in the mornings, I tell myself that it will be a good day; that today I might meet a great new friend or see something that will change how I think. That today has merit and worth and I will only see it if I get up and get out there to experience it. And so far, today hasn't failed me yet.

I hope you get up in the mornings, even the cold and rainy ones, with a positive attitude. It makes the world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment